Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Andover loses clerk, gains a piece of history



Background: I was home during the weekend of the 24th for my brothers birthday, and I sat in on my hometown's selectman meeting that monday night before coming back; the meeting turned out much more interesting than I planned.

An eventful Town Selectman’s meeting revealed a piece of Andover’s history Monday night. Town Clerk Randy Hanson of 15 Pasho St took to the podium to announce her retirement after 20 years. She also presented the town with a peculiar gift: Andover’s Boston Post Cane.

The cane is one of a set, Hanson explained, given to the oldest resident in every Massachusetts town in 1909 by the Boston Post, at the time the largest newspaper in New England. Hanson says she found the cane in the town’s vault during her first year as town clerk. “I knew it was of significant value importance when I found it, and I didn't want to lose it, so I hid it in my office for 20 years”, Hanson said with a chuckle.

Hanson presented the cane, which is made of african ebony and tipped with a 14 carat gold handle, in a wooden and glass case made by town building inspector Ed Ataide. “I thought it would be fun to displayed for the whole town to see” said Hanson, who requested it be hung for public display in the Town Offices.

Hanson also presented a plaque detailing its original owner, a 93 year old Andover citizen named Benjamin Franklyn Wadwell, a carpenter who graduated from Andover’s Phillips Academy prep school in 1832.

Wadwell had many descendants, one of whom is Jim Batchelder, an art teacher at Andover High School and local historian. “I’d seen pictures of my great grandfather holding the Cane growing up, but always thought it was lost,” Batchelder said. “I’m glad to see a historical artifact like this open to the whole Andover community”.

After accepting the cane, the Board of Selectman gave Hanson their accolades for her years of service.

“You are the wind beneath our wings”, Selectman Brian Major said, referencing the famous Bette Middler song.

Another Selectman, Gary Stabile, expressed his thanks. “You’re one of the most professional people I’ve ever worked with,” Stabile said, adding “Every time you couldn’t make it to a meeting, I always felt like I was flying by the seat of my pants”

Hanson quickly replied “I’ll be sitting here [in the audience] every Monday making sure things go according to plan.”

Other items addressed at the meeting included

· Town Manager Buzz Stapczynski, gave an announcement that streetlights would go dark between the hours of 1 a.m. to 5 a.m. in an effort to cut costs and limit light pollution. The town bought the streetlights, previously maintained by an outside contractor, in order to initiate the switch.

· The town manager announced that the search for a new Superintendent of schools had been narrowed down to four candidates: prior assistant superintendant Susan Nicholson, as well as other candidates Kelly Clenchy, Marinel McGrath, and Christopher Farmer.

· Resident Sheila Doherty of Morton St reminded the audience to wear reflective vests or carry a flashlight when walking at night.



No comments:

Post a Comment